nn__logo-inline--chocolate-box--1000w.jp

KSH Safety Services is not responsible for the content of external news sites. The link above is provided for the benefit of those seeking the latest news about UK health and safety issues.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

The safety of electrical heaters

Over recent weeks, workplaces around the country have turned up the heating as temperatures have dropped. In many businesses this has been supplemented by the use of portable electrical heaters.

While these heaters are useful to increase temperatures in colder parts of the premises, there is also no fuel burned internally, no naked flame, no risk of fumes, carbon monoxide, or the dangers of storing and changing gas bottles that comes with using gas portable heaters.


There are possible safety issues that employers - and employees - must take into account.


This starts with the purchase itself. When looking to buy a safe electrical heater, look for a BEAB approved European Safety Mark. This is the highest safety standard achievable in the UK market. The mark should be displayed on the heater, on its packaging and in its literature.


  • Never buy a second hand heater.

  • Always put your heater on a level surface and away from any potential obstruction.

  • Never power a heater from an extension lead as these can be easily overloaded causing fires.

  • Never cover, drape or leave clothing, plastics or paper on an electric heater.

  • Never put an electric heater under a desk.

  • Never use it to dry your clothes!

  • Keep your heater a safe distance, at least a metre, from clothes, curtains and furniture.

  • Always turn off your heater when not in the room, and in particular at the end of the working day. They can cause fire. Always allow it to cool before moving it.

  • Your heater should be regularly inspected for damage and deterioration. Do not use it if uncertain or if there is apparent damage.

  • Always use the portable heater for the application it was intended.


At the end of winter, store the heater in a safe place. Do not store other items on top of the heater. A few years ago this happened at a place I was working. Come the autumn, an employee got the heater out of the cupboard, and plugged it in. She shot across the room, and the power to the building shorted. Items had been thrown in the cupboard on top of the heater, damaging its internal electrical workings. Thoroughly inspect and PAT test each year before first use.


Electrical heaters can be used safely, if the above is followed. Remember they can cause fire and electrical shock if used incorrectly.




The Content on Our Site, KSHSafety.com, including this blog post, does not constitute advice on which you should rely.  It is provided for general information purposes only.  Professional or specialist advice should always be sought before taking any action relating to health and safety in the workplace. We make no representation, warranty, or guarantee that Our Site will meet your requirements, that it will not infringe the rights of third parties, that it will be compatible with all software and hardware, or that it will be secure. We make reasonable efforts to ensure that the Content on Our Site is complete, accurate, and up-to-date.  We do not, however, make any representations, warranties or guarantees (whether express or implied) that the Content is complete, accurate, or up-to-date. If you subscribe via this site, we store your email with our email marketing and website provider Wix. The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a data privacy regulation to protect all EU citizens’ data. It gives our customers, among other requirements, the right to receive or delete all their personal data. If you wish to do this please email us via the Contact us page and we will request this from Wix. This website is © KSH Safety Services

Logo hi quality red lettering.jpg

01744 32 50 32 

PO Box 751 Wigan WN1 9RF

Logo hi quality red lettering.jpg
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • Facebook

© KSH Safety Services 2020

KSH Safety Services operates as a sole trader and is VAT Registered.