Firework and bonfire safety
If you're thinking of organising your own bonfire as part of your celebrations, please follow this advice from Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service:
Never use flammable liquids to light the fire
Position the bonfire well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs – and fireworks
Build the stack so that it is stable and will not collapse outwards or to one side
Don't burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, tins of paint and bottles
Keep everyone away from the fire - especially children, who must be supervised at all the times
In case of emergency, keep buckets of water, the garden hose or a fire extinguisher ready for use
If you plan on using fireworks then always buy them from a reputable retailer to make sure that they conform to British standards. You can check this by making sure the fireworks have BS 7114 written on the box.
Make sure you follow is advice:
Stand well back
Keep pets indoors
Keep fireworks in a closed box
Only buy fireworks that are BS 7114 marked
Light at arm's length, using a taper
Follow the instructions on each firework
Never give sparklers to a child under five
Don't drink alcohol if setting off fireworks
Always supervise children around fireworks
Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them
Never go near a firework that has been lit - even if it hasn't gone off it could still explode. Pour water on the embers before leaving
If you or anyone else gets into difficulty remember:
STOP, DROP, ROLL
Always remember, if your clothing catches fire - STOP, DROP and ROLL.
If your clothes catch fire, running around won't help. You must always stop, drop to the ground (cover you face with your hands) and roll over and over. Make sure you roll over a few times, to ensure that you put the fire out.
Good first aid following a burn or scald can make an enormous difference in recovery times and the severity of scarring. Remember to COOL, CALL, COVER.
First aid advice from the British Burn Association:
Cool the burn with running cold tap water for 20 minutes and remove all clothing and jewellery (unless it is melted or firmly stuck to the wound).
Call for help: 999, 111 or local GP for advice.
Cover with cling film or a sterile, non-fluffy dressing or cloth. Make sure the patient is kept warm.