Many people in business have a work mobile phone. Usually there is nothing to worry about, but incorrect charging methods can cause problems, including fire in some rare cases. The following guidance should limit any problems:
Always read the manufacturers safety information before using the phone.
Use only the manufacturer’s approved batteries, chargers and accessories.
Ideally connecting your phone charger directly into plug socket is safer than using extension leads. If you do use extension leads, protect your electrical equipment by connecting them to a surge protector extension lead.
Visually inspect the phone, charger or accessories before use.
Ensure that plugs and sockets are not damaged.
Do not charge your phone at night whilst asleep.
If there are any concerns of your phone, if any part of the phone is cracked or broken or giving off a burning smell: stop using it immediately and remove from socket.
Check that visible cables and leads are in good condition.
Check that you are not storing combustible materials around your fuse box, electricity meter or electrical intake.
Never trail cables under carpets or rugs.
Never take mains-powered electrical items into the bathroom.
Never charge a mobile phone on top of, or near another mobile phone, especially of that other phone is also charging
Always switch off your electrical items when they are not in use.
Do not store or charge the phone near a hob or microwave when cooking.
It is important to make sure that the electrical installation in your property is well maintained, and we recommend that you use a registered electrician to check that it is safe. However, there are a number of simple, visual checks that you can carry out yourself:
Check that you have RCD protection in your fuse box
Make sure that your plug sockets are not overloaded. Electrical Safety First has developed an online “socket calculator” to help you to check that yours are safe.